Make sure you have a “Just Right” book before your child starts to read. A book that is “Just Right” is not too hard, but not too easy! By doing so, this will alleviate any frustration your child may experience when trying to read a book that’s too high for their current reading level.
Try the 5-Finger test when choosing your “Just Right” book:
Open the book to the middle. Choose a full page of words. Have your child read the full page out loud. Watch as your child reads and hold up one finger for every error that you catch.
- One finger (thumb):
- Thumbs up! Great book choice, this will be an easy, frustration free read.
- Two fingers (thumb and index finger):
- Makes an L, still Looking good! Enjoy!
- Three fingers (makes a W):
- Warning! This book may be best when read with someone.
- Four or more fingers (whole hand):
- STOP! This book may be too tough to enjoy alone. Ask an adult or older sibling to read this book to you.